16.6.08

Day Twenty Two: ShowKase

For two months, I gave up smoking because I didn't want to be sneaking puffs around my family. Plus, it's healthy. Today, I had my first craving. Maybe it wasn't a craving really. It was, "If I don't have a cigarette, I may become upset. Plus, I'd really enjoy it." But I just went on with life and it went away.

I also thought I gave up creating anything, other than writing. But maybe it's been creating me. The reason for this strange abstinence is, I wouldn't have enough room in my suitcase to return. So now I'm gonna mail crap off. Like an entire box of LP records.

So a profile, on the art I've been doing. Why not? Nothing else happened today.

I already mentioned I wanted to experiment with the expired film I found. It is supposed to have some amazing results, really weird and creepy stuff. Examples here. However, I did some research online and discovered that in order to get the prints I desire the film should be a couple decades old. Preferably. It all depends on how the film was stored and the film I acquired was probably stored well. It's too young. I will develop some film this week and we'll see. I heated the canister up, holding it over a toaster. Maybe that will work.

I take photos like I write. I see everything, record everything but share very little. I have thousands on my computer, but only uploaded a couple hundred to Flickr. So, I have finally finished an old series I call "TOiLET" where I placed inspirational messages on clogged or unflushed toilets. They said things like "You Could Win!" or "Please Try Again!", as if it were a contest to treat toilets with respect.

The pun is, TO LET. This set deals with how we treat an important fixture in everyday life. We leave it unflushed or we make jokes about it or we clog it. We ignore it. We give too much or too little respect to it. There is an I in toilet. That isn't emphasized.

Clogging a toilet, essentially vandalizing the whole bathroom, was what got me expelled from my high school. It was one of the best decisions in my life. I also showcase toilets I've vandalized since or gross ones I've discovered.

Maybe I will make some large prints of these. I dunno yet. You can see some more here.

I was rummaging in the basement today and I found a toy doll. I decided to take a picture of it next to the candles, because I wanted to imitate Snailbooty's amazing, weird still lifes. I placed it upside down in a candle holder. I like how it made a helmet. My example was a little too hurried.

Also, I've been way more eager to take photos of sweet urban decay ever since I found the Urban Decay Colr Picker. So I took a lot. Expect more sad little shots of that kind of junk.

This is the current inspiration I'm feeling. Tomorrow I'm going to Boston. It will probably be refreshing, mentally, physically, spiritually.

No comments: