5.6.08

Day Eleven: Inheritance



I'm not gonna be one of THOSE people.
When you're here, dark is really dark. Not some pathetic attempt at it. You'd really stumble, you'd really get lost. There are these things called Loons, which are creepy looking birds that scream at night. The lake is haunted. The forest alive with nocturnal whispers. They won't hurt you, but they will keep you on your toes. No wonder people write horror stories about this place.

I'm just amazed that some of the land here has been owned since before America was the USA and yet, this place is so untouched. You are constantly surrounded by woods and wildlife. Ninety percent of the businesses here are locally owned, small businesses. Few corporate conglomerates here. Nothing is all the same. I don't know if it's better than Phoenix, where they've torn up the desert and made it an oasis, for better or worse. All I know is it's harder to get Monster energy drinks out here because few people carry them.

My grandma told me a story about how my father got into a wreck in a high speed police chase. He was about my age and he was trying to avoid the cops to avoid higher insurance rates. He hid behind a highschool and the cop waited ten minutes on the other side for him. He sped out, was still being chased and hit a wall.

My grandma says she has never been able to understand what Paul was thinking. His mind was always on some other frequency. I laughed and bit my tongue and told grandma that I definitely inherited that.

She said, oh, I hope not!

But I want to be. I really, really do.

No comments: