13.7.08

Day Forty Nine: Virga Impacta



Church, an old man stood and interrupted the service to say to my uncle, the pastor, "Duane, I just had a vision. It was like nothing else I've ever seen. All the righteous people were dancing and praising God in a field of green under blue skies. Then, these black column-like clouds came out of the sky and the people allowed them in. And they shrouded the people in darkness. Let's cast out all the clouds in our lives!"
The slide changed and without skipping a beat, the service went on, as if nothing had happened.

Today, humidity 100 percent, 90 degrees. Somehow, in the evening it starts raining. Raining like crazy. Four inches crazy. We were driving and it was so torrential it felt like the car was underwater. My family ate at a pizza restaurant, nothing special. Creepy paintings of vegetables dotted the walls. The best part was when the power flickered and the crappy music shorted out.

Beckie was telling me about "Pickle Bob's", an ice cream shoppe that will give you a free pickle if you are pregnant. She tells me, she wanted a pickle so she 'pooched' out her stomach and got one. The way she says 'pooched' makes me laugh.

My cousin's dog was hit by lightning, kind of. He was outside, underneath a hammock, lightning struck one tree and traveled to the other through the chain. The electrical discharge was enough to heat the dog and scare the hell out of it. The thing survived but when I told a friend about it he asked, are you jealous?

A little bit, but the rain was already drifting away.

No comments: