13.7.08

Day Forty Eight: Virginity

Think Virginia, think "imperialism", please. Don't think "close to D.C." and don't think "for lovers". Think "Jamestown", think "slavery plantation". For God's sake, don't think "virgin queen".

I'm in the country, even further away from civilization than I was in Center Harbor. The people I am staying with are Duane and Joyce W. They are my father's cousins, and their children are my second cousins. Beckie, age 22, is my favorite. She's a lot like me and a lot like Ashley K. and we get along well.

Duane often says things about evil spirits and Satan. Other weird things such as The Beatles being heathen music. He called Marvin Gaye 'the original queer' because of his last name. It's hard to tell if he's joking or not.

Duane owns his own business, a mechanic shop for Mercedes-Benz cars only. So every single relative has one of these sports cars, to the point that I've gotten sick of them.

My relatives asks me if I'm a libertarian like my father. They consider him kind of rebellious because he doesn't subscribe to the two-party charade. I told them I'm an Anarchist, just to piss them off, because I'm kind of tired of caring what they think. Well, it's true anyway.

A lot of people are commenting on my obsessive photography habits, especially since I alternate between 35mm and digital. They say, you're one of those artsy-fartsy types, aren't ya? I smile. They say, that's from God ya know. God is the original creator and He gave you your gifts. I say, yeah. I think, nice reminder. They say, how can you handle that?

The people who were married are Nick and Liz W., people I have barely met. They have never dated other people before. I don't know if that's incredibly romantic or incredibly naive. Either way, I don't think it matters so long as they stay together, generally happy. In fact, I think the lack of prior relationships helps.

The wedding was nothing special. To be honest, I expected a lot more. No alcohol, no cigars. I think the cake was even sugar-free. I was nursing a headache and trying not to be negative. I had to escape because I couldn't stand it. I walked to a convenience store, tempted to break my cigarette fast, but I prevailed.

I called my father and I felt better because we joked about how frustrating these people can be. We discussed advertising and politics and stupid shit. He told me to stop caring what they thought and so I did. I felt glad to be myself again, but I don't know why I let them dress me up. I don't know why I let them concern me.

When I returned to the scene, I helped them vandalize the bridal car. I drew artsy-fartsy hearts and a dove that looked more like an obese seagull. My cousin Eric thought it would be funny to emphasize that the couple waited for sex. The car has this sickening pro-life sticker that says, "dismembering unborn babies is wrong" and above it says, "Honk for virginity". Classy accentuation.

I guess, weddings don't really do anything for me. I've always been hoping they would, as gay as that sounds. I guess every charade I attended I hoped would be romantic and special and I would have a good time, like the movies. The only wedding that even came close was Ben and Megan's. It was short, sweet and I actually knew the people.

---x

In other news here, I'm often bored so I've been doing a lot of phonecalls. I don't get very good reception however. I called Gean and a tree fell on a Mercedes-Benz, which was kinda funny to me. My aunt ran over two snakes driving at night. Watching a lot of movies, taking a lot of pictures. I went into town to develop some film because my cousin Ben is very generous. We ate chinese and the owner kept asking us weird questions, like if my Monster energy drink was from Russia. We went shopping at a cheap thrift store and I bought many things, like a book on optimism. I haven't peeled it open, but I really want to start being happier.

I think I'm onto a good start, despite all the complaining I just did.

No comments: