17.11.08

A Novel for a Novel's Sake / 258 words / 50,000 words

So much has changed in my life that I want to tell you about. But I can’t begin. I’ll start with this.

I met Diana Gabaldon, a local world-famous author. She told me how I could get a novel published, but less practically, she told me I had the ability to do it.

Diana wrote her first novel as an experiment, just a novel for a novel’s sake, and it became famous. She barely tried. Her novel is something terrible about 18th century Scotland and a time-traveling WWII era British Nurse. Oh and it’s a romance. Diana has a devoted fanbase and movie deal in the works.

Today I ran into my friend Meghan, who was handing out copies of her feminist zine and it made me question, what am I doing with myself? I was supposed to be doing this a year ago. Being all done with a novel for a novel’s sake. Publishing zines all over the place.

Then I read about National Novel Writer’s Month, which is November. Basically, it’s a challenge to write a novel in 30 days REGARDLESS of terrible quality. Just writing for a novel’s sake.

I only learned about this today. I have 13 days to write a 50,000 word masterfuck. And so I’m going to do it.

It could kill me, no? It’s a very real possibility I could fail and have nothing. But I’d rather try than complain.

I might start publishing the results online, as I go along. But I’m going to do it.

For more info:
http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/whatisnano

1 comment:

Matty said...

Well then, That sounds like fun. I think that I will take up that challenge because it sounds like fun... I know I only have 7 days left in November but why not. I think it's possible. Not plausible for a lazy unmotivated me but I think I might. I'll send whatever happens to you. Well, good luck, my friend.