6.10.08

Fashionable


My photography professor said it straight, "Advertising tries to get you to part with your money." Then he encouraged the class to make photos that did just that, manipulated people into BUY BUY BUY.
If you agree that art is an expression of the soul, then perhaps you agree that creating something to sell something cheapens the soul. You put a pricetag on something and then it becomes measurable against other things.
I don't like commercial art because all it represents is the exchange of money, something I don't think is very important. But if you think the opposite, fine.
Selling art in a gallery isn't the same thing. That's more of a "here, I made this, you can forever share this expression for this price" and that explains why art is expensive. It's the application of humanity. It should be overpriced, sometimes.

But since I didn't respect my teacher's assignment, so I did pictures of my friends cross-dressing. It seemed the most controversial anti-commercial thing I could do and still get a passing grade.

Brian, my male model, was incredible, even paid for the dresses we went across town to gather. I spent a roll and a quarter of film on him, mostly prancing around, flirting with a stolen balloon, fooling around on a school playground we trespassed onto. Some people gave him raised eyebrows, compliments and talked to him.

Laura, my female model, wore some random designer t-shirts I found in my laundry. No idea how they got there. She tried to pose like a guy would and she pulled it off well, but the pictures still didn't come out very well. I think it was my fault. Still, I really liked her dress-jacket idea, where she turned a hoodie upside down and zipped it up over her bra. Improvisation is great.

I don't think my photo teacher was amused. But I felt blissful and free because I did what I wanted. I expressed art in a way that isn't salable. That, in itself, is invaluable.

No comments: