5.3.08

Le Bénédicité

Le Bénédicité

[Author's note: This is a rant about my writing career. It may or may not interest you. I promise more blogs about death, suicide, lame jokes and bad poetry later in the week.]

The other day, I realized, this is it.

I am at my peak. So far.
Sooooooooo good.

This is the height of my writing career.
This year alone, in 3 short months I have finished a novel (I consider the Anesthetic Vampire serialization a novel. It has chapters and it's long. You won't convince me otherwise, but I'd love to hear your opinion) I have become published and gotten a job as a journalist.

I work for the Lumberjack, a small, crappy school paper that only pays $5 an article but it is publication. It means the next time I work at a paper, I can show them "clippings". It gives me experience and credibility and makes it more likely for me to get a job in journalism. Maybe a couple dozen of the several thousand students on campus actually read my articles.

What I write is called "op/ed" (opinion/editorial). Basically, it's what does Tekel think this week? It's basically keeping a weekly purely political blog. My writing in it is far from polished, but that's what I run into with deadlines and word counts.

I plan on working for a small newspaper in New Hampshire over the summer, which will give me even more clippings under my belt. I really need to work on writing in a more journalistic format, but that's what school is going to teach me to do. I hope.

I wish I could share, but my diary involves people I don't want to expose. My writing in that has greatly improved, even become somewhat poetic. I'm very pleased with it, for purely aesthetic purposes.

This is it. My peak. The highest I have ever gone with my writing. Higher than that short story contest I placed 2nd in, higher than . . . well, that's about it.

I am going to enter in two more short story contests. One for $300 and one for $2,000. I just need motivation. I could easily go higher.

No comments: